Sunday, September 26, 2010

West Road Trip - Post 4

- Day 18 - I drove through the Northern part of Yosemite until I reached the wilderness trailhead. From there I began a 4-day, 60-mile backpacking trip. Half of the hike was along the Pacific Crest Trail before looping back on a different trail. The backcountry is a more remote part of the park. I ran into an off duty ranger and she said to avoid the Valley. She said it has about the same real-estate as Golden Gate Park and Central Park combined with about the same number of annual visitors as both of those parks. When the sun was starting to set I cross-countryed up a rocky mountain and cowboy camped near the top. This is the highest I have ever camped (around 9000 feet).

- Day 19 - I saw a black bear, but it ran as soon as it saw me. Then I ran into Machine, a PCT Southbounder. She said that as far as she knows she is one of only seven people to attempt a PCT southbound hike this year. That by itself would make the hike so much different than my AT thruhike. After reaching over 10000 feet elevation I camped by a really, really clear lake.

- Day 20 - I dropped elevation quite a bit. Unfortunately at lower elevations it got really hot (it was just about freezing over night) and there were thousands of gnats. No, I probably killed thousands so there had to be many more than that. At least they weren't mosquitoes or black flies. I followed the Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne River past a bunch of waterfalls. I camped near one of them.

- Day 21 - I hiked the remaining 8-9 miles out and drove to Bishop, CA. I stayed at a hotel there.

- Day 22 - I went through Death Valley National Park. It was very hot (over 105 degrees). I have had such drastic temperature swings on this trip. The mountains and sand dunes were different, but I wouldn't have wanted to camp or hike much because of how hot and dry it was. I continued through the rest of California, Nevada (passing through Las Vegas), Arizona, and Utah. I stopped at St. George, Utah where I am spending the night.

On queue:
-Zion National Park
-Grand Canyon National Park
-Bryce Canyon National Park
-Rocky Mountain National Park

1 comment:

  1. Hey Drew! Awesome!

    Liz and I were planning on staying in Bishop on the other side of Bishop, but when we realized our truck may not be able to make it through the mountain passes with rookie drivers, we thought better of it.

    I'm glad you're having such a good time and are able to see so much!

    ReplyDelete