Friday, October 1, 2010

West Road Trip - Post 5

- Day 23 - I drove through Zion National Park and did a short hike in the park. I saw big horn sheep, but definitely did not spend enough time here. I will have to go back at some point. I then drove across Utah and into Arizona to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Yep, the canyon is rather big! I was surprised by the forest at the rim of the Canyon given that the rest of the land around the canyon is desert. I also couldn't believe the number of people that were complaining about a quarter-mile hike on a level, paved trail. They weren't sure if they were going to make it back. I then went back into Utah to go to Bryce Canyon National Park. Wow. The pillars or "Hoodoos" looked alien and not naturally made. I camped at the campground there.

- Day 24 - I drove across Utah and Colorado to get to Rocky Mountain National Park. I saw elk and camped at the campground there.

- Day 25 - I saw more elk in the morning and drove through the park. I saw pikkas at high elevation and reached 12000 feet. I wanted to hike up the 14k peak, but the ranger said that all routes are considered technical routes at this time of year due to ice, someone died a couple days ago by slipping, and you really need to start the hike by 3 in the morning. So, instead I did some other hikes in the park. I then proceeded to Boulder, Colorado where I met up with Risa, a friend from Colorado. I stayed at her place for the night.

- Day 26 - I began the tedious trip back home. I drove across Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, and just into Illinois. I stayed at a hotel there.

- Day 27 - I drove across Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and got home really late. Unfortunately my trip is now over and I go back to work on Monday :(

No comments:

Post a Comment