Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 144 - 8/06

Daily mileage: 12.8
Total trail mileage: 1922.6
Starting location: After Old Speck Mt.
Ending location: East B Hill Rd
Weather: 58 degrees in the morning. 63 - 68 degrees during the day.
Partly cloudy in the morning. Cloudy in the afternoon. Rain in the
afternoon.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.668373,+-70.893199

Today was hikeable! Actually I made really good time. Sure there was
a mountain to climb up and over, but most of it was either fairly
gradual or had stone or root steps. There were only a few sections of
the slick rock slabs.

Baldpate Mountain was awesome. There were great views and it was all
exposed. Climbing up to the peak was climbing an enormous rock, but
the rock had natural steps worn into it. Fortunately I was well off
the top by the time the rain started.

I was able to arrange for a shuttle into the hostel before I descended
to the road. It was good that I was able to as there was no reception
at the road, there was almost no traffic to try to hitch from, and the
town is 9 miles from the trail.

It turns out that tomorrow is Andover's annual festival. It looks
like a very tiny town, but there a bunch of people here for the
event. There are rumors of a pie eating contest, so I may have to
enter prior to returning to the trail.

Apple Juice had a sewing kit so I tried my best to repair my pack. I
am sure it won't last long though. I am just hoping it lasts long
enough to get to Katahdin.

No comments:

Post a Comment