Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 158 - 8/20

Daily mileage: 16.8
Total trail mileage: 2100.5
Starting location: Cloud Pond Lean-to
Ending location: Carl A. Newhall Lean-to
Weather: A little rain last night. 56 degrees in the morning. 59 -
69 degrees during the day. Clear and Sunny all day. Very windy last
night and during the day.

Today had a lot of great views. Everything in sight was forest,
lakes, or mountains. No man made structures. And, the weather was
gorgeous. It was nice to have a cool day again.

There were a lot of day hikers though once I got near Gulf Hagas. So
much for it being "Wilderness". I was originally planning on hiking
the full Gulf Hagas side trail, but a lot of people said that the
waterfalls aren't nearly as spectacular as normal given the low water
levels this year. I decided to just go a little off the AT to see the
first falls. There were huge pools of water in the gorge, and I
finally found a way to climb down to water level. I went swimming
briefly in one of the pools, but the water was really cold. The pool
was over my head.

Before swimming I got stung by a bee on my leg. It still hurts, but
the cold water helped to dull the pain. Hopefully it doesn't swell up.

I am eating too much food now. My hunger level went even further up.
I should have enough food, but my bag will probably be empty by the
time I reach Abol Bridge. At least my pack weight is getting to be
more reasonable again.

78.6 miles left to go! There are only 2 more climbs left greater than
1000 feet of elevation gain. One is tomorrow. The other is
Katahdin. I am guessing that tomorrow will be the last time I get
phone reception before I finish, so this will likely be the last post
for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment