Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 162 - 8/24

Daily mileage: 13.4
Total trail mileage: 2173.9
Starting location: Hurd Brook Lean-to
Ending location: The Birches Lean-to
Weather: 64 degrees in the morning. 68 - 79 degrees during the day.
Clear and sunny all day.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.885738,+-68.993609

I got a late start since I only had to do 13 easy miles today. I
survived the 100-Mile Wilderness and then made my way down to Abol
Bridge. Katahdin got really big now. There was a fantastic view from
the bridge, and today was a really, really nice weather day. Too bad
I didn't summit today. Right past the bridge was the Abol Bridge
Campground and Campstore. I picked up lunch there as well as some
food supplies to get me through today and tomorrow. I hung out there
for a long time. After that I stealth showered in the Campground.
The shower was coin operated, but I think it was only for registered
guests. Well, nobody said anything or questioned what I was doing as
I walked in, took a quick shower, walked out, and headed down the trail.

After that was a pleasant walk through Baxter State Park. The trail
was very flat, devoid of most rocks and roots, and traveled along many
streams, rivers, waterfalls, and ponds. The weather was so nice today
that I didn't really feel like walking though.

I made it to Katahdin Stream Campground and registered with the
Ranger. I am northbound thruhiker #194 for this year. I think I was
#60-something at Harpers Ferry, but that was before my time off
trail. I really thought there were more people ahead of me. Well, I
registered at the Ranger station in the Campground, but the shelter
that they put us in is way away from the Campground. I guess they
think we stink so bad that there is no way they would put us near the
normal guests. So, one final night in my hammock in the woods.

I am not really done with Maine yet, but I am practically there. The
biggest distinguishing attribute of Maine is water. This is a serious
drought year for Maine, and yet there was still water everywhere.
There were plenty of ponds, lakes, streams, rivers, waterfalls, bogs,
puddles, mud pits, etc. There were still mountains with views (and
steep climbs), but there was plenty of hiking along the lower
elevations as well. Maine was one of my favorite states on the trail.

So, tomorrow is Katahdin. 5.2 miles left to go and 4000+ feet of
elevation gain. Much of the climb is above treeline. I can't believe
I am at this point. The plan is (and I hope this works out as I
haven't been able to talk to anyone for a bit) to meet my parents and
my highschool friend Lauren (whom I haven't seen since highschool) in
the Campground in the morning. Then my dad, Lauren, and I will hike
to the top. I might hike the Knife's Edge trail after reaching the
summit depending on the weather. Then, down the mountain and into town
to begin my life after the trail. One possible hiccup is the
weather. The latest report indicated that it will be clear in the
morning, but then clouds and rain will move in during the late
morning. There is a 100% chance of rain in the afternoon. But, this
is a better report than the Thursday report.

Other than seeing people from home, the things I am most looking
forward to in "real world" life are the ability to take showers every
day and the ability to cook real food. I am not looking forward to
the cars, general bussyness, and waste that society brings. I will
miss the quiet and peacefulness found on the trail as well as the
opportunity to see new things, meet new people, and stay active. What
I will miss most though are the people on and around the trail that
have been so generous and friendly. I am hoping to be able to give
back. Not just to the trail community but to strangers at home as
well. As I transition back into the "Real World", I am also hoping to
remain active (maybe not 15-20 mile active, but whatever I can manage)
and to live a simpler life. The trail has taught me that one can live
on very little and still be comfortable. These might be lofty goals,
but I will try my best.

1 more day left on the trail :(

No comments:

Post a Comment