Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 161 - 8/23

Daily mileage: 22.2
Total trail mileage: 2160.5
Starting location: Nahmakanta Lake Campsite
Ending location: Hurd Brook Lean-to
Weather: 62 degrees in the morning. 63 - 73 degrees during the day.
Cloudy all day. A little drizzle midday.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.818568,+-69.018424

MOOSE REALLY DO EXIST!!! I FINALLY SAW TWO :). The sighting occured
at 7pm on Rainbow Ledges. Wow, they are big creatures. They ran in
different directions when they saw me. I was stunned, so it took me a
few seconds to remember to pull out my camera. I did get a blurry
picture of one of the moose jumping across the trail. The sounds they
made when running through the woods sounded just like what I heard the
other day and before Saddleback, so I am guessing both of those times
were also moose that I just couldn't see.

The rest of the day was also great. The trail has continued to be
nice, especially with the changing leaves. It passed by more ponds,
lakes, streams, and waterfalls today. Rainbow Lake had really, really
clear water. Unfortunately though there were big leaches (4-6 inches)
in it. Katahdin keeps getting bigger and bigger. There was a really
nice view from Rainbow Ledges right after I saw the moose.

There have been a lot of great campsites throughout the Wilderness.
Cloud Pond Lean-to, Antlers Campsite, Nahmakanta Lake Campsite,
Rainbow Springs Lean-to, and Rainbow Lake have been the highlights.
Too bad I couldn't stay at all of them.

I don't want the trip to end. I did manage to get another night in
the woods by not going all the way to Abol Bridge, but tomorrow I have
to head to the Campground. I only have a couple more miles left
before emerging from the Wilderness. Then I will head to the Abol
Bridge Campstore to pick up a few more supplies (and icecream and
beer!).

18.6 miles left to go. 1 night remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment