Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 149 - 8/11

Daily mileage: 13.5
Total trail mileage: 1991.3
Starting location: Spaulding Mountain Lean-to
Ending location: ME 27
Weather: 59 degrees in the morning. 60 - 73 degrees during the day.
Cloudy and foggy in the morning. Partly cloudy the rest of the day.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.140581,+-70.443472

The beginning of the day was pretty easy. But, then the climb up
Crocker Mountain was really steep. It was around a 1500 ft ascent in
1 mile. But, it wasn't rock slabs so I didn't slip at all while going
up. After a long gradual descent from there I arrived at the road
where there was a cooler with sodas.

I started to try to hitch into town when a truck coming in the
opposite direction pulled over. It turned out to be the ridge runner,
and he was bringing Scout back to the trail. He offered to bring me
into town. Apple Juice and Smokestack then showed up.

Zen and Devo were already in town. Unfortunately I missed the post
office hours by 10 minutes. After a shower I got dinner, which
included a Wolf Burger. A Wolf Burger had bacon, cheese, and a
sausage patty on it. After that was the typical pint of ice cream.

Tomorrow I will head back to the trail but will only do 8 miles.
There is a campsite right below the exposed Avery peak. There is
supposed to be a meteor shower and that should be the clearest place
to watch it from.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a good view of the shower! I'm hoping the street lights don't ruin it for us over here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, the view was fantastic...very little light pollution at that part of Maine :)

    ReplyDelete