Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 150 - 8/12

Daily mileage: 8.0
Total trail mileage: 1999.3
Starting location: ME 27
Ending location: Avery Memorial Campsite
Weather: 69 - 74 degrees during the day. Mostly clear and sunny all day.

Consuming 7 slices of pizza, a pint of ice cream, and a bottle of soda
immediately before climbing a mountain was not a good idea. The first
few miles were painful. Having a full pack out of resupply didn't
help either. Interestingly, the hike got easier as the mountain got
steeper. By then i had digested some of the food.

On the way up I passed by a pond. A beaver was swimming around and
didn't care that I was there. Unless it was blind, deaf, and had no
sense of smell, it knew I was at the edge of the pond. It got within
5 to 10 feet of me and was still just floating around.

I got up to the west peak of Bigalow Mountain and waited for sunset.
It was above treeline and the sunset was fantastic. Then, I hiked the
remaining 0.3 miles to the campsite.

I was expecting to see Zen, Devo, and Apple Juice there, but I was not
expecting to see Smokestack and Scout. They had both said that they
really needed to push on. Since our plan was to get a couple hours of
sleep and then get up around 2am to hike up Avery Peak for the Meteor
Shower, I didn't want to waste time setting up and taking down my
hammock. Besides, the campsite was pretty full. Smokestack had found
a spot for his hammock and Apple Juice and Scout were Cowboy camping
on the ground there. So, I also rolled out my pad and am going to
sleep literally 2 feet from the trail. If I roll over I will be in
the middle of the trail.

While sitting here a small owl decided to fly all around our camp. It
was flying from branch to branch and was watching us. We became
paparazzi and all had our cameras out. So, when someone saw the owl
flashes would start going off.

Tomorrow will be a very early start. I am going to shoot for either
West Carry Pond or Pierce Pond. I had planned on doing a zero on
trail at some point during this trip. This was the area that I had
been thinking of doing so. And then there are legendary pancakes near
Pierce Pond. So, the next few days might be easy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment