Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 157 - 8/19

Daily mileage: 15.3
Total trail mileage: 2083.7
Starting location: North Pond
Ending location: Cloud Pond Lean-to
Weather: 61 degrees in the morning. 68 - 82 degrees during the day.
Clear and Sunny all day.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.418836,+-69.354214

Today was a nice day of hiking. The weather was great, and the trail
passed by many streams and waterfalls. A few of the waterfalls were
flowing through rocky rivines. There were a few fords, but they were
mostly rock hops this year. I was almost across one when there was a
gap that was just a little too far to cross. I could have gone back
to find a better way, but it was easier to get my one foot a little
wet. It dried out quickly.

I stopped at one of the shelters for lunch. A chipmunk joined me and
would not go away. I was pushing it around with my trekking pole and
tapping it on its side. It didn't care.

I heard something big move through the forest off the trail. By the
sound it had to be either a deer, moose, or bear. I haven't seen any
signs of deer in a long time, so I am guessing it wasn't that.
Unfortunately I could not get a view because the forest was too thick.

The Barren Ledges and Barren Mountain had awesome views. So, of course
I stopped for a while at both points. On top of Barren Mountain there
was the sketchiest tower along the AT. The top platform was gone, and
the stairs were replaced with an iron ladder. I went up it (even
better views), but I couldn't also bring my camera. So, no pictures
from the top.

Cloud Pond is a really nice spot. The water was warm, but I didn't go
swimming. If I got here earlier in the day I would have.

I suppose I can now start to list the remaining mileage. 95.4 miles
left to go. Under 100! And today was the last Thursday on the trail
(assuming I get good weather to summit next Wednesday).

No comments:

Post a Comment