Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 160 - 8/22

Daily mileage: 21.2
Total trail mileage: 2138.3
Starting location: Crawford Pond
Ending location: Nahmakanta Lake Campsite
Weather: 60 degrees in the morning. 63 - 73 degrees during the day.
Cloudy all day.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.737533,+-69.107598

With each day, the forest is becoming more alive with colors. Today
half the ferns turned yellow. A lot of the leaves are starting to fall.

I am really enjoying the 100-Mile Wilderness. Yes, there are cars and
access points, but the number of roads are far less frequent. The
trail has been very pleasant and there have been tons of ponds and
lakes and streams along the way. I was making really good time today
as the trail was pretty flat.

I have been hiking with Red Beard, Minus, and Kagel for the last week
or so. Tonight we camped next to a lake and built a fire. We found
fresh water mussels and cooked them over the fire. They were smoked
over white birch and freshly seasoned with olive oil and ramen
spices. They weren't the best, but they were free calories.

I am running low on food. The trail magic yesterday and the trail
magic today (a woman was at one of the logging roads with oranges and
sodas) has helped a lot, but I am just burning too many calories now.
Good thing I am almost out of the Wilderness. I think I will be
leaving with an empty food bag, but not starving (well, more than
normal).

This might be my last night really in the woods. I have two more
nights, but they both might be in campgrounds. It depends on where I
end up tomorrow night. I can't say I am completely excited about
being at the end.

Unfortunately, I heard that the weather forecast now looks iffy for my
Katahdin summit on Wednesday. Hopefully the forecast turns more
favorably.

40.8 miles left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment