Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 156 - 8/18

Daily mileage: 7.1
Total trail mileage: 2068.4
Starting location: Blue blaze to Monson
Ending location: North Pond
Weather: 72 - 76 degrees during the day. Partly cloudy all day.

I am at
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.353295,+-69.486205

I woke up and had a monster breakfast at the hostel (3 pancakes, 5
eggs, 7 pieces of bacon, 7 sausage links, and a pile of home fries).
It was great and was my last real meal before Katahdin. After that, I
resewed my pack again but this time with much thicker thread that my
mom sent. Hopefully it holds this time. If not, I have more thread
and needles with me.

I got back on trail by 10, which was later than I was hoping but about
what I was expecting. I started out with a good pace. Although, as
soon as the coffee wore off the lack of enough sleep started to affect
me. I quickly realized that the only way I was going to make it to
Cloud Pond was if I hiked the last bit in the dark. I didn't feel
like doing that, so I started to look for a good campsite as I walked
along.

Then I found one. North Pond is fantastic with small islands and
peninsulas. There was a clearing near the edge of the water at a bend
in the pond. It isn't the clearest view of the main body of the pond,
but I can see down one branch of it. So, I set up my hammock.

I am now in the 100-Mile Wilderness. The sign when I entered said to
turn around if I wasn't carrying at least 10 days worth of food.
Oops. I guess I should go back.

I am on the hunt for moose. I didn't see any tonight, but I am going
to shift my hiking schedule to improve my odds. I will try to get up
early and stay near as many ponds as possible through the Wilderness.

1 comment: